Re: partitioned mirror vs. mirrors of partitions?

Eric Sandeen wrote:
Hi, I hope this isn't a FAQ, I did do a little searching first...

I'm looking at using a couple of large disks to mirror a system which
currently has a few different filesystems; I'll use partitions on the
disks to contain the different fileystems.

It looks like I could mirror sda and sdb, and partition the resulting
md_d0.  Or, I could partition sda and sdb, and create mirrors md0, md1,
etc from the partitions on the underlying disks.

Is there any technical reason to choose one method vs the other?  It
seems to me that perhaps on a system with several active partitions from
the same disk, partitioning a single large raid device might allow
better read balancing?

The reason for going with a partitioned raid is that rebuild after a failure is easier. The reason for NOT going there at the moment is discussed in another thread here, in the current kernel the partitions are not started unless you have an initrd file to make that happen. The last is performance, if you are using the partitions in different ways, and some would benefit from performance while others (/boot comes to mind) need to be simple and reliable, and have minimal requirements for speed. Having partitions on the drive allows you to use different raid levels across partitions, to best fit what you do with that data.

I don't see any as compelling, there's no one best answer for everyone.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still