Re: Resize / file system and create /home in existing raid 1

Hi,

Am Montag, 5. Mai 2008 23:53 schrieb Peter Grandi:
[..]
> Resizing is dangerous, shrinking is very dangerous, and most
> filesystems don't support shrinking anyhow.

is there any documentation why resizing is dangerous?

I'm using a lot of RAID1 with ext3 ontop in my virtual servers and i resize
(grow) the RAID1 and ext3 filesystem as i need more space without
interrupting.
I've done this very often (more than 50 times) for a long time (for about 2
years) and never had any problems. I also do sometimes fsck to check if
something went wrong (i can do this without interruption because my RAID1
partitions are managed with lvm, and so, i do snapshots and make the fsck on
the snapshots).
I've done shrinking not that often because i don't know a filesystem which can
shrinking online (ext3 and reiserfs can be shrinked offline). But as i've
testet shrinking with ext3 it's for me also very stable. Shrinking reiserfs
(offline) doesn't work reliably and i use reiserfs only on my backup space.
But shrinking RAID1 is not possible without recreating the RAID1, means
shrinking RAID1 is not possible online.

--
greetings

eMHa