Re: Sleeping hard drives in an array?

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Greg Cormier wrote:
Is it possible to sleep hard drives in an array?

I have a HTPC at home that's on 24x7. It does all my torrenting as
well, and is mainly a media server.

Can I sleep the drives in my RAID5 array while it's not being used?
It's an XFS partition.

I have each drive set as

hdparm -S240 /dev/sdX

But I'm fairly sure they are not spinning down :( Is there some
activity mdadm is doing in the background?

These things are probably idle 22 hours of the day.

I have several very similar systems, and I note that on one the disk light blinks every five sec or so, while the others don't do that. The one that blinks is the only one running LVM, all the others were partitioned by hand. Does that apply to your system, LVM in use?

Geez!! pardon me if I don't either "get it" or am unable to communicate about "it". Those thinking that I'm un-necessarily repeating myself - email your flames and I will be gone from here for a few months.

Put / [and whatever ELSE that needs to be mounted] on a USB drive. I recently got a 2Gb drive for pocket change!!

Learn, or borrow someone who knows how - scripts. I don't think that you would give a darn if a ram-drive didn't "spin-down". So PUT what can not be put to sleep on something that doesn't have mechanical wear!!!

Your system can be set up to WAKE up with everything mounted and ready to go on ANY trigger/situation that YOU want - except the states need to be either on or off... there are lots of states that newer 'puters monitor. I'm sorry but THIS is not rocket science.

NOW!! YOU FAILED TO RESPOND!! To my earlier response to you. Please allow me to ax you again.... WHY do you want spin-down? HMMM
	Less noise-	- buy new drives
	Less elect. co$t - If they aren't seeking, draw is LOW
Less wear on the drives - I have never had a drive mfg respond to my questions about this. My [totally personal] view on this is if you're shutting down for a few hr., you will lose, weeks will win.

As a FINAL note here - Somehow I do not know WHAT compubox that you are using, IF you are using linux/unix/bsd, and WHAT level your make/compiler/etc are at. This particular forum has SEVERAL really talanted and experienced people on here. The only reason which I could point at might be that you seem to be clueless - which is a different forum. :)

If I have caused yellow dribble and you wish to directly hammer me .. my name is "berk" hehe.. and my email provider is "panix".. of course +".com.

If you cause me to be flooded w/spam....................[I know, it's a public forum].

b-