Re: diskinfo script

Bill Davidsen wrote:
I was playing around doing some prototyping for a more extensive disk info reporter which will be written in perl, and it came to me that this script might be useful to someone, so I'll attach it here. The perl version will generate HTML, and CSV for configuration databases, show mount points, etc. This was an hour or so, mainly playing with the report format. Obviously you need to make it executable.

I want it because I'm frequently asked to look at strange machines, and I want to see what used and how. I could do it all in script, but only to prove I can. ;-)

*Enjoy!*

After some immediate feedback, I did an update on this to include some patches and requested features. So here is the last version I'll put here, with built-in help, examples, the option to use "GiB" instead of "GB" if you care, and now should run on sh as well as bash. It currently doesn't run on ksh, I have to look for my ksh book and see how to fix the problem.

If there is ever a version after this I'll just put it on a website, I was dropping this to do something better.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

#!/bin/bash
#   diskinfo 1.12 2008-04-29 16:07:41-04 davidsen Stable
# tabs=4
#
# display disk info

# this usage function needs to be defined before it's used
Usage() {
	exec 1>&2
	echo -e "\n\n\nDiskInfo usage\n"
	echo -e "    diskinfo [ options ] [ drives ]\n"
	echo "With no arguments diskinfo lists the sizes of devices with"
	echo "names of the format /dev/hd? and /dev/sd?. Options allow"
	echo "display of the size of partitions, and their use by raid"
	echo "(md) arrays, or lvm (dm) devices."
	echo ""
	echo "Options"
	echo " -v  verbose - at the moment just displays version information"
	echo "     rather than more information about the devices."
	echo " -p  partitions - shows information about partitions on the"
	echo "     devices listed, their size and usage."
	echo " -d  debug - does nothing in the released version, just a handy"
	echo "     thing to have if you try to enhance this script."
	echo " -e  european disk size notation, \"MiB\" instead of \"MB,\" etc"
	echo ""
	echo "To specify a subset of drives or drives with alternate names,"
	echo "the drive names may be put on the command line in wildcard"
	echo "notation."
	echo -e "\nENTER to see examples: \c"
	read ans
	echo -e "\n\n"
	echo "Examples:"
	echo "  diskinfo hd[ab] sdb"
	echo "  diskinfo -p sd?"
	echo "  diskinfo -p md1p_*"
	echo -e "\n\n"

	exit 2
}

# option parsing
verbose=0
partitions=false
debug=false
# MB and GB unit notation - someone asked for this
Unit_MB="MB"
Unit_GB="GB"

while getopts "pvde" opt; do
  case "$opt" in
  "p") partitions=true;;
  "v") let verbose+=1;;
  "d") debug=true;;
  "e") # European unit notation
       Unit_MB="MiB"; Unit_GB="GiB";;
  "?") Usage;;
  esac
done
if [ $verbose -gt 0 ]; then
	echo -e 'diskinfo v1.12 Stable  2008-04-29 16:07:41-04 davidsen@xxxxxxx\n' >&2
fi

# A gigabyte in sectors
Gig_sect=$((2*1024*1024))

# this does the output
do_blkdev() {
	local drive id modelfile
	id="$1"
	drive=$2

	# size in MB or GB as makes sense
	size=$(cat ${drive}/size)
	if [ $size -lt $Gig_sect ]; then
		MB=$(echo "scale=1;$size/2048"|bc)
		UNIT=$Unit_MB
	else
		MB=$(echo "scale=1;$size/(2*1024^2)"|bc)
		UNIT=$Unit_GB
	fi
	modelfile="${drive}/device/model"
	if [ -f "$modelfile" ]; then
		model=$(cat "${modelfile}")
	else
		if [ -d ${drive}/holders ]; then
			model=$(ls ${drive}/holders)
			[ -n "$model" ] && model="  ($(echo $model))"
		else
			model="undefined"
		fi
	fi
	printf "%-8s %6s %-2s %s\n" "$id" $MB $UNIT "$model"
}

# identify devices
eval DISKS=\${${OPTIND}:-hd? sd?}

# process the block devices