Re: Question: how to identify failing disk in a RAID1

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Richard Scobie wrote:

From: Richard Scobie <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Question: how to identify failing disk in a RAID1

Keith Roberts wrote:

It would be nice to be able to use smartmontools to monitor the health of the drives in a RAID1 array. Get the best of both worlds then.

I have been doing this for years.

What problems are you seeing using smartd on a RAID1?

Regards,

Richard

Reading the documentation for smartmontools I got the impression that it cannot work with RAID controllers, apart from 3ware and some Highpoint. Maybe I'm getting mixed up with hardware raid?

So is it safe to use all features of smartmontools, including running tests, on a Linux software RAID1 array?

Kind Regards

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.php-debuggers.net