Re: Re-assembling a software RAID in which device names have changed.

[Please respect the Reply-To header]

Sean H. wrote:
[]
My mdadm.conf is configured with UUIDs:

Ok.

DEVICE partitions

Ok.
ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid5 num-devices=5
uuid=58dcdaf3:bdf3f176:f2dd1b6b:f095c127

Tried the following: 'mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 --uuid
58dcdaf3:bdf3f176:f2dd1b6b:f095c127'
... and got this: mdadm: /dev/md0 assembled from 2 drives - not enough
to start the array.
(Which is what I've been getting for a while, now.)

Ok.  So it's a different problem you have.  What's the
reason you think it's due to re-numbering/naming of the
disks?

When you unplugged 3 your disks, I suspect linux noticed
that fact and md layer marked them as "failed" in the
array, with the 2 still here.  Now, when you have all 5
of them again, 2 of them (the ones which were left in
the system) are "fresh", and 3 (the ones which were
removed) are "old".  So you really don't have enough
fresh drives to start the array.

Now take a look at verbose output of mdadm (see -v option).
If my guess is right, use --force option.  And take a look
at the Fine Manual, after all -- at the section describing
assemble mode.

It's possible to correct this issue by unplugging the three drives and
plugging them back in and rebooting, so the drives get their original
/dev/sd* locations, is it not? (Even if it it possible, I'd like to
learn how to fix problems like this at the software level over the
hardware level.)

Please answer this question.  Why do you think that the array
does not start because of disk renumbering?

/mjt