Re: RAID 1 failure on single disk causes disk subsystem to lock up

Peter Grandi wrote:

> If you have high availability requirements perhaps you should buy
> from an established storage vendor a storage system designed by
> integration engineers and guaranteed by the vendor for some high
> availability level.

Actually, I don't trust such systems. That's our main reason for using software RAID 1: if all else fails with regard to RAID, we can take one of the disks and mount it as a non-RAID ext3 file system. No "guaranteed" proprietary system can offer that.

(And other than this one perplexing problem, we've been extremely happy with software RAID for many years -- thanks, Neal and everyone else involved.)

> Perhaps without realizing it you have engaged in storage system
> design and integration and there are many, many, many, many subtle
> pitfalls in that (as the archives of this list show abundantly).
>
> You cannot just slap things together and it all works. Have you
> done even sketchy common mode failure analysis?

Ouch!  :-)

Just for the record, this isn't "slapped together" hardware. They're off-the-shelf, server-grade, currently sold, genuine Intel, etc. SuperMicro servers, with no modifications, specifically chosen because they're widely used. The only storage system design we've done is connect a SATA drive to each of the two motherboard SATA ports and use software RAID 1 (yeah, I know that's "design", and we did think about it and test it, but still).

We've done many stress/failure tests for data storage, all of which pass as expected. What I unfortunately can't test in advance is how they behave when a working hard disk suddenly has a mechanical failure, which is the only time we've seen a problem.

I could sacrifice a working disk by opening it up while running and poking the platters with a screwdriver (I've seriously considered this), but repeating the test more than a few times would get expensive.

> Also putting two drives belonging to a RAID set on the same
> IDE/ATA channel is usually a bad idea for performance too.

They're SATA drives. There's no actual IDE hardware involved.

--
Robert L Mathews