Re: RAID 1 failure on single disk causes disk subsystem to lock up

Robert L Mathews wrote:
I'm using a two-disk SATA RAID 1 array on a number of identical servers, currently running kernel 2.6.8 (I know that's outdated; we use security backports and will soon be upgrading to 2.6.18).

If you look at the change logs for versions between 2.6.8 and 2.6.24 you will see a lot of improvements in disk error handling. The kernel you are running is probably incapable of handling the particular failure you are getting, at least for values of "handle" which include "cleanly report failure back to the md layer." Unless you have some very good reason for upgrading to another old kernel, you really should consider moving to something more recent. Security backports seem to be aimed at intrusion prevention and not data security in this case.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still