Re: RAID 1 failure on single disk causes disk subsystem to lock up

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Robert L Mathews wrote:

Justin Piszcz wrote:

Did you have swap on the RAID1 as well?

Yes, although swap usage on these machines is generally zero (they have 4 GB of RAM and there's rarely anything in swap at all).

Even if there was some swap usage, though, that shouldn't cause this problem, should it? The point of putting swap on RAID is to avoid exactly this kind of issue.
Trying to recall, I don't know if my host froze up or not but it was lagging and being unresponsive, I have had this happen twice, once with a 74gb raptor and once with a 150gb raptor, I know the second time I had to reboot to make it kickout the bad disk. The first time though I do not recall if the host froze up but it was acting very strange.

74gb raptor was on a PCI system (no PCI-e) (i875p chipset i believe?)
150gb raptor was on a 965 chipset