Re: raid10 vs raid5 - strange performance

>  OK, I think the normal hype on raid10 is to use the far layout for its
>  better striping performance.

Wasn't f2 supposed to improve *reads*? Maybe I've got it backwards.

>  Are the disks SATA disks or SCSI disks?

PATA. It's a how-to-best-utilize-some-older-stuff project.

>  you could probably get some more performance by moving 2 disks
>  to the PATA controller of the motherboard,

The board is newish and has just one PATA channel and that's
explicitly for CDROM use.

>  I think it is interesting that your 3ware controller is not maxing out
>  the PCI bus! With 6 disks of nominally 60 MB/s the  theoretical max is
>  360 MB/s. So the 3ware controller really has IO bandwidth available
>  which it is not getting close on putting to use.

Yes, that's the juicy part :)

>  What is the specifics for the 3ware controller?

http://www.3ware.com/products/parallel_ata.asp

It's the 8port version. Maybe their newer controllers are better but
this one frankly sucks at anything but raid1 and maybe raid0 ...

Cheers,

C.