Re: software for making initrd's with raid support

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 09:15:16AM +0100, Luca Berra wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:00:42PM +0100, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> >>could you please explain what you mean in the above sentence,
> >>i have being maintaining mandriva mkinitrd packages for some years, and
> >>would really love to know.
> >
> >Good!  I was working on a mandriva professional 2006 system 2.6.12
> 2006.0 is EOL

2006.0 professional is maintained to 2011

> >kernel, and I hacked the mkinitrd to have it generate mdadm.conf etc
> >- it did not at all look at this. I can send you my patches, but they
> > are in no way clean.
> mkinitrd in 2006.0 did generate mdadm.conf and use it, so i don't know
> what your patches were doing.

the code to generate mdadm.conf was not activated. I made some patches
to force raid code generation.

> >There was no mention of raid10 in the code either.
> yes support for raid10 was added after 2006.0 release
>
> >I thied to contact Erik Troan - the main author of mkinitrd (and lots of
> >other stuff:-) - but got a bouncing message for his redhat address.
> i think Erik does not maintain mkinitrd any more, it is quite an old
> software.

OK, who maintains it now, and is mkinitrd still a viable - perhaps the
best - way to make initrd's?

Where is the latest mkinitrd available from?

Could I use the latest mkinitrd with my 2006.0 system?

> >And I was about to report this om qa.mandriva.com - but it seems that I
> >already made contact!
> if you want a bug fixed on mandriva please send a bug report on
> qa.mandriva.com, same applies for redhat/fedora.
> If you have questions to ask, feel free.

Is raid10,f2 supported under the latest haddrake2?

Best regards
keld