Re: How many drives are bad?

Justin,

There was actually a discussion I fired off a few weeks ago about how
to best run SW RAID on this hardware. Here's the recap:

We're running RHEL, so no access to ZFS/XFS. I really wish we could do
ZFS, but no luck.

The box presents 48 drives, split across 6 SATA controllers. So disks
sda-sdh are on one controller, etc. In our configuration, I run a
RAID5 MD array for each controller, then run LVM on top of these to
form one large VolGroup.

I found that it was easiest to setup ext3 with a max of 2TB
partitions. So running on top of the massive LVM VolGroup are a
handful of ext3 partitions, each mounted in the filesystem. This less
than ideal (ZFS would allow us one large partition), but we're
rewriting some software to utilize the multi-partition scheme.

In this setup, we should be fairly protected against drive failure. We
are vulnerable to a controller failure. If such a failure occurred,
we'd have to restore from backup.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
I'm certainly no expert here!

Thanks,

Norman