Re: when is a disk "non-fresh"?

On Friday 08 February 2008 00:22:36 Neil Brown wrote:
> On Thursday February 7, Dexter.Filmore@xxxxxx wrote:
> > >
> > > not necessarily.  sometimes it helps to repeat your question.  there
> > > is a lot of noise on the internet and somethings important things get
> > > missed... :-)

> > > The 'event' count is too small.
> > > Every event that happens on an array causes the event count to be
> > > incremented.
> >
> > An 'event' here is any atomic action? Like "write byte there" or "calc
> > XOR"?
>
> An 'event' is
>    - switch from clean to dirty
>    - switch from dirty to clean
>    - a device fails
>    - a spare finishes recovery
> things like that.

Is there a glossary that explains "dirty" and such in detail?

> > > If the event counts on different devices differ by more than 1, then
> > > the smaller number is 'non-fresh'.
> > >
> > > You need to look to the kernel logs of when the array was previously
> > > shut down to figure out why it is now non-fresh.
> >
> > The kernel logs show absolutely nothing. Log's fine, next time I boot up,
> > one disk is kicked, I got no clue why, badblocks is fine, smartctl is
> > fine, selft test fine, dmesg and /var/log/messages show nothing apart
> > from that news that the disk was kicked and mdadm -E doesn't say anything
> > suspicious either.
>
> Can you get "mdadm -E" on all devices *before* attempting to assemble
> the array?

Yes, can do. But now the array is in sync again, guess you want an -E scan
when it's degraded?

> > Question: what events occured on the 3 other disks that didn't occur on
> > the last? It only happens after reboots, not while the machine is up so
> > the closest assumption is that the array is not properly shut down
> > somehow during system shutdown - only I wouldn't know why.
>
> Yes, most likely is that the array didn't shut down properly.

I noticed that *after* stoppping the array I get some message on the console
about SCSI caches, but it disappeares too quickly to read and doesn't turn up
in logs. Will try and video shoot it tho I issue "sync" anyway before
stopping the array.

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de
-