Re: when is a disk "non-fresh"?

On Thursday February 7, Dexter.Filmore@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008 03:02:00 Neil Brown wrote:
> > On Monday February 4, Dexter.Filmore@xxxxxx wrote:
> > > Seems the other topic wasn't quite clear...
> >
> > not necessarily.  sometimes it helps to repeat your question.  there
> > is a lot of noise on the internet and somethings important things get
> > missed... :-)
> >
> > > Occasionally a disk is kicked for being "non-fresh" - what does this mean
> > > and what causes it?
> >
> > The 'event' count is too small.
> > Every event that happens on an array causes the event count to be
> > incremented.
>
> An 'event' here is any atomic action? Like "write byte there" or "calc XOR"?

An 'event' is
   - switch from clean to dirty
   - switch from dirty to clean
   - a device fails
   - a spare finishes recovery
things like that.

> > If the event counts on different devices differ by more than 1, then
> > the smaller number is 'non-fresh'.
> >
> > You need to look to the kernel logs of when the array was previously
> > shut down to figure out why it is now non-fresh.
>
> The kernel logs show absolutely nothing. Log's fine, next time I boot up, one
> disk is kicked, I got no clue why, badblocks is fine, smartctl is fine, selft
> test fine, dmesg and /var/log/messages show nothing apart from that news that
> the disk was kicked and mdadm -E doesn't say anything suspicious either.

Can you get "mdadm -E" on all devices *before* attempting to assemble
the array?

> Question: what events occured on the 3 other disks that didn't occur on the
> last? It only happens after reboots, not while the machine is up so the
> closest assumption is that the array is not properly shut down somehow during
> system shutdown - only I wouldn't know why.

Yes, most likely is that the array didn't shut down properly.

> Box is Slackware 11.0, 11 doesn't come with raid script of its own so I hacked
> them into the boot scripts myself and carefully watched that everything
> accessing the array is down before mdadm --stop --scan is issued.
> No NFS, no Samba, no other funny daemons, disks are synced and so on.
>
> I could write some failsafe inot it by checking if the event count is the same
> on all disks before --stop, but even if it wasn't, I really wouldn't know
> what to do about it.
>
> (btw mdadm -E gives me:     Events : 0.1149316 - what's with the 0. ?)

The events count is a 64bit number and for historical reasons it is
printed as 2 32bit numbers.  I agree this is ugly.

NeilBrown
-