Re: using update-initramfs: how to get new mdadm.conf into the /boot? Or is it XFS?

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
maximilian attems wrote:

error 15 is an *grub* error.

grub is known for it's dislike of xfs, so with this whole setup use ext3
rerun grub-install and you should be fine.

I should mention that something *did* change. When attempting to use XFS, grub would give me a note about "18 partitions used" (I forget the exact language). This was different than I'd remembered; when I switched back to using reiserfs, grub reports using 19 partitions.

So there's something definitely interesting about XFS and booting.

As an additional note, if I use the grub boot-time commands to edit root to read, e.g., root=/dev/sda2 or root=/dev/sdb2, I get the same Error 15 error message.

It may be that grub is complaining about grub and resiserfs, but I suspect that it has a true complain about the file system and what's on the partitions.

I think you have two choices, convert /boot to ext2 and be sure you are going down the best-tested code path, or fight and debug, read code, learn grub source, play with the init parts of the boot sequence, and then convert /boot to ext2 anyway. No matter how "better" something else might be, /boot has nothing I use except at boot, I don't need features or performance, I just want it to work.

Unless you are so frustrated you have entered "I am going to make this *work* if it takes forever" mode, I would try the easy solution first. Just my take on it.

Or you can get lucky and someone will have seen this before and hand you a solution... ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

-