using update-initramfs: how to get new mdadm.conf into the /boot? Or is it XFS?

I've managed to get myself into a little problem.

Since power hits were taking out the /boot partition, I decided to split /boot out of root. Working from my emergency partition, I copied all files from /root, re-partitioned what had been /root into room for /boot and /root, and then created the drives. This left me with /dev/md/boot, /dev/md/root, and /dev/md/base (everything else).

I modified mdadm.conf on the emergency partition, used update-initramfs to make certain that the new md drives would be recognized, and rebooted. This worked as expected.

I then mounted all the entire new file system on a mount point, copied the mdadm.conf to that point, did a chroot to that point, and did an update-initramfs so that the non-emergency partition would have the updated mdadm.conf. This worked -- but with complaints about missing the file /proc/modules (which is not present under chroot). If I use the -v option I can see the raid456, raid1, etc. modules loading.

I modified menu.lst to make certain that boot=/dev/md/boot, ran grub (thanks, Robin!) successfully.

Problem: on reboot, the I get an error message:

root (hd0,1)  (Moshe comment: as expected)
Filesystem type is xfs, partition type 0xfd (Moshe comment: as expected)
kernel /boot/vmliuz-etc.-amd64 root=/dev/md/boot ro

Error 15: File not found

Did I miss something? I'm pretty certain this is the procedure I used before. The XFS module is being loaded by update-initramfs, so unless there's a reason that I can't boot md from a boot partition with the XFS file system, then I don't understand what the problem is.

Comments welcome -- I'm wedged!

--
Moshe Yudkowsky * moshe@xxxxxxxxx * www.pobox.com/~moshe
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to