Re: using update-initramfs: how to get new mdadm.conf into the /boot? Or is it XFS?

Robin Hill wrote:

"File not found" at that point would suggest it can't find the kernel
file.  The path here should be relative to the root of the partition
/boot is on, so if your /boot is its own partition then you should
either use "kernel /vmlinuz...." or (the more usual solution from what
I've seen) make sure there's a symlink:
        ln -s . /boot/boot

Robin,

Thanks very much! ln -s . /boot/boot works to get past this problem.

Now it's failed in a different section and complains that it can't find /sbin/init. I'm at the (initramfs) prompt, which I don't ever recall seeing before. I can't mount /dev/md/root on any mount points ("invalid arguments" even though I'm not supplying any). I've checked /dev/md/root and it does work as expected when I try mounting it while in my emergency partition, and it does contain /sbin/init and the other files and mount points for /var, /boot, /tmp, etc.

So this leads me to the question of why /sbin isn't being seen. /sbin is on the device /dev/md/root, and /etc/fstab specifically mounts it at /. I would think /boot would look at an internal copy of /etc/fstab. Is this another side effect of using /boot on its own partition?

--
Moshe Yudkowsky * moshe@xxxxxxxxx * www.pobox.com/~moshe
 "Blessed are the peacemakers,