Re: RAID needs more to survive a power hit, different /boot layout for example (was Re: draft howto on making raids for surviving a disk crash)

Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
[]
> If I'm reading the man pages, Wikis, READMEs and mailing lists correctly
> --  not necessarily the case -- the ext3 file system uses the equivalent
> of data=journal as a default.

ext3 defaults to data=ordered, not data=journal.  ext2 doesn't have
journal at all.

> The question then becomes what data scheme to use with reiserfs on the

I'd say don't use reiserfs in the first place ;)

> Another way to phrase this: unless you're running data-center grade
> hardware and have absolute confidence in your UPS, you should use
> data=journal for reiserfs and perhaps avoid XFS entirely.

By the way, even if you do have a good UPS, there should be some
control program for it, to properly shut down your system when
UPS loses the AC power.  So far, I've seen no such programs...

/mjt
-