Re: Help: very slow software RAID 5.

: Dean S. Messing wrote:
: > I have also discovered "smartctl" and have read that if the short smartctl
: > tests are run daily and the long test weekly that the chances of being
: > caught "with my pants down" are quite low, even in a two disk RAID-0
: > config.  What is your opinion?
: >
:
: There's a good paper on using smartctl to predict the health of disks,
: and if you can't find it I probably have a copy somewhere, since I gave
: a presentation on RAID issues which included it. But the basic premise
: was that if you see errors of certain types, the drives are likely to
: fail soon. It did *not* say that absent these warnings the drives were
: unlikely to fail, un fact most drives which did fail did so without
: warning. So for about 90% of the failures there is no warning.
:
: I had servers a few years ago, running 6TB/server, on lots of small fast
: drives, and I concluded that the predictive value of SMART was so small
: that it didn't justify looking at the reports. Take that as my opinion,
: assume that drives fail without warning.

>From what you and another poster said (about the False Alarm rate of
Smartctl) I'll put my trust in backups, alone.  I agree: if it
predicts such a low % of failures, there's no point to waste time
reading the reports and having a false sense of security.

: I'm getting around to replying to several things you have said in
: various posts, so that people who are threading answers will be happy...

I'll look forward to your comments, especially on my misconceptions.
I've learned a great deal already.

Dean

-