Re: Interesting RAID checking observations - I'm getting it too

Hi Bill,

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 12:42:53 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mark Smith wrote:
>
> >Just a note, I've noticed this problem too. I run a RAID1 check once
> >every 24 hours, and while developing the script to do it, noticed that
> >the machine became virtually unusable - mouse was jumpy, typing lagged.
> >
> >I run this check every morning at 4.00am so I'm usually asleep and
> >don't notice it, so it hasn't been a big bother to me.
> >

> Interesting, but do you run other stuff at that time? Several
> distributions run various things in the middle of the night which really
> bog the machine.

Pretty sure not. daily cron run at 12.00am, I run a daily smart short
test at 2.00am, and then this check at 4.00 am. I'll switch it off
tonight just to confirm that, by looking at the same sar data.

I think I read on the list that Neil discovered something that he
thinks might be causing it, I figured I just might be able to provide
some data to help confirm that.

Regards,
Mark.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."