accessing mirrired lvm on shared storage

Hi all,

I've got an extended setup whith two Systems, each with two FC cards. Every card is connected to a seperate disk array (so one system accesses two arrays). The other node has access to the same two arrays (standby).

The active server mirrors the data (4 LUNs) between the two arrays via md. On top is a LVM physical volume. The other system is meant to be booted but not acessing the VGs.

My question is, if it is possible to let both systems set up the md mirror without corrupting the data? Is there any data written even when the VGs are not taken active? I think I remember that LVM refuses to activate volumegroups which are active on another system, right?
This would save me from caring about IO fencing.

thanks for your help in advance..
matthias
-