RE: Save to use spindown?

During a start and stop the disk's heads touch the surface.
At speed the heads glide on a cushion of air, and don't touch the surface.
AFAIK, the heads and surface don't wear while in use.

Also, if disks are anything like light bulbs, they will fail during start.
I have never seen a light bulb fail while on, only during on/off cycles.

I have seen disks go bad while in use.  But more often I see disks that were
fine, until the power is cycled.

Guy