Re: Save to use spindown?

> of my drives at the moment are below 10 start-stop cycles, even though
> the array is only used very lightly for a few hours every day.

but my point was that "very lightly" doesn't tell you how many start/stop
cycles.  if the spindown timeout is less than ~10 minutes, you _could_
hit 50K cycles over 3 years, even assuming only 8 hrs/day.  I'd feel
uncomfortable coming within a factor of 2 of the start/stop rating...

> > I don't believe ext3 will generate journal forces unless you do something
> > that generates data or journal IO.  for instance, atime updates are often
> > overlooked here.  I generally turn atime stuff off anyway.
> >
> But accessing the drive will spin it up anyway, so why would it be
> prudent to turn atime off (apart from the fact that it is often not
> needed anyway)?

but reading a cached file will update its atime.  with fileservers commonly
in the multi-GB range, many files are cached...

regards, mark hahn.

-