Selective spin-up

I recently extended my raid array with a 9th drive, and I find that the 300 watt PSU I use is insufficient to start the system. What happens is that I activate the machine, the machine starts powering up for 3 seconds orso (spinning all the hard drives up about half way) then power cuts out. I've heard that it is possible to spin up disks one at a time or in groups, but cannot find any such option in the BIOS (Asus A8N-E board). Any ideas?

What's fun however is that if I press the power button again immediately after it powers down (while the drives are still half way spinned up), it will have enough power to spin up the disks all the way, and the system starts normally. It runs rock solid after that.

-