Re: Fwd: Linux MD raid5 and reiser4... Any experience ?

Slightly off-topic, but:

Simon Valiquette wrote:
> Francois Barre a écrit :

>   On production server with large RAID array, I tends to like very
> much XFS and trust it more than ReiserFS (I had some bad experience
> with ReiserFS in the past).  You can also grow a XFS filesystem live,
> which is really nice.

I didn't know this until recently, but ext2/3 can be grown online as
well (using 'ext2online'), given that you create it originally with
enough block group descriptor table room to support the size you're
growing too.

>From the man page for mke2fs:

-E extended-options
       Set  extended options for the filesystem.  Extended options are
       comma separated, and may take  an  argument  using  the  equals
       (’=’) sign.  The -E option used to be -R in earlier versions of
       mke2fs.  The -R option is still accepted for backwards compati-
       bility.   The following extended options are supported:
             stride=stripe-size
                   Configure  the  filesystem  for  a  RAID array with
                   stripe-size filesystem blocks per stripe.

             resize=max-online-resize
                   Reserve  enough  space  so  that  the  block  group
                   descriptor  table  can grow to support a filesystem
                   that has max-online-resize blocks.

I have done it, and it works.

-Mike

-