Re: Fwd: Linux MD raid5 and reiser4... Any experience ?

Francois Barre a écrit :
> 2006/1/5, Daniel Pittman <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>Francois Barre <francois.barre@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>>Well, I think everything is in the subject... I am looking at this
>>>solution for a 6*250GB raid5 data server, evolving in a 12*250 rai5 in
>>>the months to come... Performance is absolutely not a big issue for
>>>me, but I would not appreciate any data loss.
>
> Well, as far as I understood it (that is, not so far :-p), reiser4
> seemed to have a stronger and more efficient journal than ext3. That
> is not what everyone believes, but reiser4 was to be designed that way
> more or less... But I guess that ext3 and its very-heavily-tested
> journal can still be more trusted than any newcomer.
>
> Truth is, I would have been glad to play with reiser4 on a large
> amount of data, just because I was interrested on the theories behind
> it (including the database-filesystem strange wedding Hans tried to
> organize). Maybe it's too great a risk for a production system.
>
> Well, anyway, thanks for the advice. Guess I'll have to stay on ext3
> if I don't want to have nightmares...

  AFAIK, ext3 volume cannot be bigger than 4TB on a 32 bits system.
I think it is important you know that in case it could be a concern
for you.

  Personnally, I also don't like using ext2/3 on a array bigger than
2TB.  With 12x250GB, you are already well over 2TB, and maybe some day
you will realize that you needs more than 4TB.  If you have a 64 bits
computers, just forget what I said (16TB is the limit).

  On production server with large RAID array, I tends to like very
much XFS and trust it more than ReiserFS (I had some bad experience
with ReiserFS in the past).  You can also grow a XFS filesystem live,
which is really nice.

  XFS is finally much faster than EXT3 and self-defragmenting, but
that was not a concern for you anyway.

Simon Valiquette
http://gulus.USherbrooke.ca
http://www.gulus.org