Re: Fwd: Linux MD raid5 and reiser4... Any experience ?

2006/1/5, Daniel Pittman <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Francois Barre <francois.barre@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> G'day Francois.
>
> > Well, I think everything is in the subject... I am looking at this
> > solution for a 6*250GB raid5 data server, evolving in a 12*250 rai5 in
> > the months to come... Performance is absolutely not a big issue for
> > me, but I would not appreciate any data loss.
>
> If your key interest is data integrity, and you don't care a fig about
> performance, you would be much better off using ext3 on that filesystem.
>
> Depending on the test, ext3 may not do better than other filesystems,
> but it is really quite hard to go past the long history of reliability
> and stability that it has.

[...]

Well, as far as I understood it (that is, not so far :-p), reiser4
seemed to have a stronger and more efficient journal than ext3. That
is not what everyone believes, but reiser4 was to be designed that way
more or less... But I guess that ext3 and its very-heavily-tested
journal can still be more trusted than any newcomer.

Truth is, I would have been glad to play with reiser4 on a large
amount of data, just because I was interrested on the theories behind
it (including the database-filesystem strange wedding Hans tried to
organize). Maybe it's too great a risk for a production system.

Well, anyway, thanks for the advice. Guess I'll have to stay on ext3
if I don't want to have nightmares...

Best regards,

F.-E.B.
-