Re: Linux RAID Enterprise-Level Capabilities and If It Supports Raid Level Migration and Online Capacity Expansion

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, jeane wrote:

> bonjour!
bonjur, ca va? :)

> I was going thrugh the thread I am also in the processing of deciding
> weither to procurz H/W raid, One significant matter would be
> performances of the systems,

On a server-class hardware, no significant cpu load can be observed.
We have serverworks/xeon or Adaptec, LSI and Fusion scsi ctrl, they are
good (in this order: Fusion MPT very impressiv :)
The sun v20z AMD-8131,  LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT
Dual Ultra320 SCSI is good to.

But, the cheap motherboards (sis chipset) and bad config can kill cpu.
Especialy the wrong PATA config, like raid1 on hda/hdb.

Bye,
 LAJBER Zoltan               Szent Istvan Egyetem,  Informatika Hivatal
 Most of the time, if you think you are in trouble, crank that throttle!
-