Re: RAID design decisions

Hi John,

you described exactly my favourite disk setup as I prefer since I tested
several different setups with and without LVM2.

John Stoffel wrote:

> 2. mirror my /, swap and /boot partitions for reliability
> 	- requires mkinitrd to work well and easily for new kernels.
> 	- requires I don't screw up my current setup when I try this.

I use Fedora rather than Debian but I think there're only marginal
differences in RAID/LVM-Setup.

My preferred disk setup for server systems is this:
- all disks which are part of the system raid contain a first partition
of 256MB size - these partitions build up a RAID1 which holds /boot.
- on all disks with a boot-partition a Grub is installed into MBR so
each of this disks can replace the first in case of failure
- the rest of the system disk space goes into on large LVM2 vg which
holds all system partitions and swap
- if I need extra disks for e.g. postgresql database space I set up a
second volume group which contains data partitions
- I use XFS or JFS for all partitions since these are growable without
unmounting them (i resized both partition types during high disk load
without any problems)

Greetings,
Frank