Re: RAID design decisions

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:28:56PM -0500, John Stoffel wrote:
> But I'm wondering if I'm being a) too complex here or b) inverted in
> how I want this setup so the LVM is under MD, or c) just fine overall.
> Should I be using LVM2 to build my RAID1 devices directly?  Should I
> be using MD instead to build my resizeable volumes to hold my
> filesystems?

Well, the main reason I use MD for all my personal RAID needs is
becuse I trust it more than any other RAID solution I have ever come
across.  Even in the event of a disaster, I know my data is there and
I know I have the ability to get it back.

I use LVM when I need to do volume management for the same reason.  I
know it, I trust it, I like it.

It sounds like you have a setup that works well and accomplishes your
goals.  Unless you're looking to tinker, I'd leave well enough alone!

> 1. setup MD bitmaps for speedier recoveries
> 2. mirror my /, swap and /boot partitions for reliability
> 	- requires mkinitrd to work well and easily for new kernels.

Unless you want to LVM your / too, you can get away without initrd by
using the kernel command-line to assemble your md devices.  If you've
never seen it, check Documentation/md.txt for syntax and details.

Debian's mkinitrd scripts do a pretty good job of building initrd's
for md, though I can't vouch for their LVM support.  My workstation
runs Slackware, and I'm far too lazy to build my own initrds ::-).

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@xxxxxxxxxxxx

man in the bonds of Hell."