RE: First RAID Setup

I understand the reason for the RAID1 devices..... I was asking why you have
3 devices in the RAID1 setup? RAID1 is a mirrored configuration, requiring
only 2 disks for operation.

It is always wise to build in a spare however, that being said about all
raid levels. In your configuration, if a disk fails in your RAID5, your
array will go down. RAID5 is usually 3+ disks, with a mirror. So you should
have 3 disks at minimum, and then a 4th as a spare.

The MD modules/subsystem will then automagically bring in that spare disk if
any of the existing 3 in your RAID5 setup fail.

It is wise to think through your layout prior to building, and I commend you
for that. You may also want to review/experiment with the MD subsystem. For
instance, There is a neat --grow mode that is not mentioned in many vendor
man pages that can allow you to grow an MD device as needed.

Another gotcha, it's usually better to use entire disks, if you can afford
to, in an MD array. This alleviates growing pains of having to manually
repartition if you want to grow an exisiting filesystem. This may not make
much sense now, but once you have to do it, you'll smack your forehead in
grief.

Thanks,
Tom Callahan