Re: Good, recent FS comparison?

Al Boldi wrote:

Tyler wrote:
Ewan Grantham wrote:
I've just setup a nice, 6-disk, USB-2 300 Gig/disk array, and was
prepared to follow my normal pattern of installing ext3 as the
filesystem. However, I saw the interview with Hans Reiser about
ReiserFS4, and am now wondering if reiser has really improved enough
to use it, or if ext3 is still the way to go?
You'd be best off trying some tests of your own, using files of the size
and quantity you expect to use on a regular basis.  I would consider
ext3, xfs, and reiser3/4... and run some tests with them.  We've had
really good luck using XFS on large raids, I personally had a bad
experience with reiserfs 3, it lost data on a USB based drive, as if it
were never even there, even after trying the recovery tools.

Don't touch anything that doesn't do ordered-mode journaling, especially if you use raid, unless your data-consistency requirements don't require this.

XFS is best, but does not support ordered-mode.
reiser4 is still new.
ext3 is rock-solid!

--
Al

-
Al... you've given us some "do's" .. can you give us some "why's" to go along with them? :) I would appreciate a run-down with some more specific info as to what/why.

Thanks,
Tyler.