Re: Problems with software RAID + iSCSI or GNBD

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Christopher Smith wrote:

> > Personally, I wouldn't mess with iSCSI or GNBD. You don't need GNBD in
> > this scenario anyway; simple nbd (which is in the mainline kernel...get
> > the userland tools at sourceforge.net/projects/nbd) will do just fine,
> > and I'd be willing to bet that it is more stable and faster...
>
> I'd briefly tried nbd, but decided to look elsewhere since it needed to
> much manual configuration (no included rc script, /dev nodes appear to
> have to be manually created - yes, I'm lazy).

Based on one test of nbd, it seems to be stable. I did about what you are
trying, a RAID1 to create an md device, then did an encrypted filesystem
on it. My test was minor, throw a lot of data at it, check that it is
there (md5sum), reboot and verify everything still works, drop the local
drive and rebuild. I did NOT try a rebuild on the nbd drive.

> I've just finished trying NBD now and it seems to solve both my problems
> - rebuild speed is a healthy 40MB/sec + and the failures are dealt with
> "properly" (ie: the md device goes into degraded mode if a component nbd
> suddenly disappears).  This looks like it might be a goer for the disk
> node/RAID-over-network back-end.

I failed it manually, can't say what pulling the plug will do. Glad it's
working, I may be doing this on a WAN in the fall.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>

-