Re: Problems with software RAID + iSCSI or GNBD

Paul Clements wrote:
Christopher Smith wrote:

 stitch it together into a RAID1.  So, it looks like this:

             "Concentrator"
                /dev/md0
                 /     \
             GigE       GigE
    "Disk node 1"       "Disk node 2"

So far I've tried using iSCSI and GNBD as the "back end" to make the disk space in the nodes visible to the concentrator. I've had two problems, one unique to using iSCSI and the other common to both.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with iSCSI or GNBD. You don't need GNBD in this scenario anyway; simple nbd (which is in the mainline kernel...get the userland tools at sourceforge.net/projects/nbd) will do just fine, and I'd be willing to bet that it is more stable and faster...

I'd briefly tried nbd, but decided to look elsewhere since it needed to much manual configuration (no included rc script, /dev nodes appear to have to be manually created - yes, I'm lazy).

I've just finished trying NBD now and it seems to solve both my problems - rebuild speed is a healthy 40MB/sec + and the failures are dealt with "properly" (ie: the md device goes into degraded mode if a component nbd suddenly disappears). This looks like it might be a goer for the disk node/RAID-over-network back-end.

On the "front end", however, we have to use iSCSI because we're planning on doling the aggregate disk space out to a mix of platforms (some of them potentially clustered in the future) so they can re-share the space to "client" machines. However, the IETD iSCSI Target seems pretty solid, so I'm not really concerned about that.

Well, that's the fault of either iSCSI or GNBD. md/raid1 over nbd works flawlessly in this scenario on 2.6 kernels (for 2.4, you'll need a special patch -- ask me for it, if you want).

Yeah, I fixed that problem (at least with iSCSI - haven't tried with GNBD). It was a PEBKAC issue :).
-