Re: sata_nv and RAID1

Molle Bestefich wrote:

Michael Tokarev wrote:
Molle Bestefich wrote:
Michael Tokarev wrote:

Without proper error handling [...]
linux SATA subsystem isn't ready for production,
and people should not rely on it *now*.
Note there was an "if" in that [...] -- "IF I/O errors are
*really* not handled properly, linux SATA subsystem isn't
ready etc"

Oh, ok.  Didn't seem relevant.  Sorry.

As long as disks aren't removed, it's OK for production..

But I'll agree with anyone who says that IDE under Linux just sucks
donkey ass compared to IDE under Windows.  With Windows 2K and later,
unplugging both SATA and PATA devices Just Works (tm).  I'm having a
hard time figuring how this works: there's enough people supporting
Linux to build a complete web-enabled SCM system (git) in a couple of
weeks, but noone has bothered to fix this glaring flaw for the past 5
years?  What gives?
Well.. I don't want to start a flamewar, but I tend to disagree.
I for one don't care (for now) about SATA and hot[un]plug for
harddrives.

So you don't care that your Linux system will deadlock if a PATA disk
is removed, for instance?  Just an example, one that I've seen happen
a couple of times.  Never seen it with Windows, it just tells you that
the disk is gone.

Actually I suspect most Linux users are smart enough not to pull a PATA drive out while in use, and it works just fine if you offline the drive before removal. I may be wrong recently, it seems that the ability to disable the interface was taken out of either hdparm or a recent kernel. I read about, exchange comments with Alan Cox, and I don't recall the details.

There may have been a step backward, hopefully just a brain fart and not a deliberate decision to disable hot swap.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-