Re: sata_nv and RAID1

Diego M. Vadell wrote:
Michael Tokarev wrote:

I for one don't care (for now) about SATA and hot[un]plug for
harddrives.

Hi Michael,
Why don't you care? Is it so unlikely to get a hard disk as broken as if it looked the same as if it were unplugged? I mean, am I worrying too much.

Heh.  Just Because (tm?) I don't have any SATA drives (for now).
And it's unlikely for me to see them in the near future, for
various resasons, one of them is because I tend to use SCSI
if at all possible...  ;)

SATA *still* is quite new, and there isn't much *good* SATA
hardware out there (think NCQ for example, which just does
not exists on alot of controllers and harddrives; and 5-years
old average SCSI disk performs alot better on random I/O
compared to modern *good* EIDE (no SATA here, remember?)
disk, even when the latter is much faster on linear I/O,
with larger cache etc...).  All that "PATA to SATA converters"
still built into some drives which are really PATA internally
but made to work on SATA bus with a converter..  and other
scary things... ;)

/mjt
-