Re: RAID 5 of RAID 5's?

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 00:45 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 01:43:39PM -0700, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> > Consider:
> >
> > You have a bunch of "bricks" that can shuffle data between a NAS head
> > and a bunch of disks.
> >
> > The disks are RAID'd (through the "bricks"), but if one of the bricks
> > themselves dies, you're kinda stuck.
> >
> > But if you RAID 5 the RAID 5's, then you don't end up with massive
> > parity pounding, and your bricks aren't a single point of failure, and
> > you don't lose as much space as if you mirrored.
>
> Off the top of my head, this is what I am thinking, but I could well
> have missed something...
>
> Assume you have 50 disks.

I guess we're talking about 200 or so, but the ideas are pretty similar
in either case I imagine.

> If you organise them as 10 five disk RAID 5s and then RAID 5 the
> RAID 5s you end up with the capacity of (5-1)*(10-1)=36 disks.
> Depending on your RAID technology, reads may be as fast as a 10-way
> stripe.  As far as I can see though, a write would have to be
> striped to 10 RAID 5s, which would itself be striped to 5 disks
> each, so it would be a 50-way write.

Well...  Does RAID not usually read from n-1 disks, and write to 2, in a
typical RAID 5 config when writing a single block?

> So, unless I have misunderstood, depending on how you split the RAID
> 5s you'll get about 75% of the disk as opposed to 50% for RAID 10,
> but the write performance and the reliability seem much worse.

Hmmmmmm...  What about these forms of RAID that are supposed to be able
to say, lose n-4 disks for an up-to-4-disk failure?  What would they be
like on a 200 disk RAID array?