Re: Raid 1 install revealed poor HD performance (I think)

Tobias Hofmann wrote:
On 17.05.2005 22:54, Mike Hardy wrote:

[...]

That's fine-grained tuning mostly though, and not really on topic for
you as it appears you have something entirely different going on. What
exactly is going on, I must admit, I don't know. :-/

<delurk>
Well, let's find out then, no? ;)

Jay, you said it yourself - Knoppix seems to be setting something different than Sarge. I am not very familiar with both, but doing a lspci on both (just in case they "see" something different) and comparing, like Gordon suggested, the output of dmesg | less (or a less /var/log/dmesg) on both systems might give you an idea where things start to go differently.

I would look for differences in the discovery of (the) ide-controller(s), and how the HDs are discovered/treated.

For completeness' sake, the kernel version of each try could give the experts an idea of differences I am not aware of.

I am sure to have forgotten something here, but for starters, it might work.

Just my 2c, good luck, tobi... ;)

Ok :), when I get home I'll be doing everything everyone has asked

It's a drag booting knoppix on this machine, it takes forever

Jay

-