Re: Questions about software RAID

Guy> I want the failed disk to light a red LED.
Guy> I want the tray the disk is in to light a red LED.
Guy> I want the cabinet the tray is in to light a red LED.

That's easy when you have a custom hardware RAID enclosure that you
have control over.  As you suggest yourself, it's not easy when you
have off the shelf components.

What happens in "real" storage systems is that the SCSI bus is
monitored by a SAF-TE or SES chip.  The OS (in this case the RAID
controller firmware) will talk to the SAF-TE device or access the SES
page to get information about hot swap events, failed disks, stopped
fans, busted power supply, etc.

I messed with a daemon to monitor enclosures implementing either of
these two standards during the infancy of hotplug.  I should probably
look into that again.  But obviously this would only apply to disk
trays with suitable monitoring hardware.

Guy> I want the re-build to the new disk to start.

Are you sure?  How do you know that the disk you just inserted is
something you want to use for the RAID?  What if you hook up - say - a
USB storage device to back up data before you start messing with
things?  You most definitely don't want the RAID to start scribbling
over any random device you hook up to a system with a failed RAID
device.

In the HW RAID enclosure case that's easy - again because the whole
tray is under the array firmware's control.

Definining a generic resync-on-hotplug policy is not trivial.  One
policy that might work for most people is sync if a new disk is
inserted on the same address (SCSI controller, channel, id, lun).  But
there's no one size fits all policy.

And this is not just because Linux sucks.  It's simply that a lot of
the "easy" HW RAID features are a result of appropriately designed
hardware.

We can certainly make Linux work more smoothly on hardware that allows
for monitoring and predictable addressing, etc.  But in the low end
it'll have to be a policy defined by the sysadmin.  And we probably
want to leave it a sysadmin configurable policy even if the hardware
implements the required magic.

--
Martin K. Petersen	Wild Open Source, Inc.
mkp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx	http://www.wildopensource.com/

-