RE: Questions about software RAID

Well, I agree with KISS, but from the operator's point of view!

I want the failed disk to light a red LED.
I want the tray the disk is in to light a red LED.
I want the cabinet the tray is in to light a red LED.
I want the re-build to the spare to start.
I want the operator du jour to notice the red LEDs.
I want the operator to remove the failed disk.
I want the operator to install the new disk.
I want the re-build to the new disk to start.
I want the re-build to not fail the current spare so data says redundant.
I want the old spare to become the spare again. (optional)

The operator would log the event:
"Disk xyz's LED went red, I replaced the disk, the red LED went out."

In my opinion, most operators would not be able to replace a disk on a md
RAID system.  It is much too complex!  Most operators need written
procedures.  They can't use independent thought to resolve problems.

Also, most operators can't use vi!  So, if you can use vi, you are better
than most operators!!!  IMO.

Of course I can't have the red LED, but the disks could be labeled and an
email sent saying disk xyz has failed.  The operator could then replace disk
xyz, if they could find it!  Then another email(s) with a status update.

With most (maybe all) hardware RAID systems I have used, the above is how it
works.  Even the red LED!!!  But these are dedicated RAID systems, not off
the shelf components.

I don't expect a software solution to ever be as easy as hardware, but I do
agree it needs to be much more operator friendly than it is today.

Guy

-