Re: RAID 1 on a server with possible mad mobo

Grub is referenced to your boot drive, then from that it makes all references in relation to /. The dox on that slightly sux, but it is really easy to see, if you can change to boot drive in bios. Run it crossways, whatever. The bios disk boots, and will become home of /. Well, at least it has for me for 5 yrs. Now your milage may vary, depending upon which disk your are booting, and the various flavours you have available on all of your bootable disks. Xandros is really willing to try anything - suse barely likes itself. The bottom line is to ask it. Set up a configuration and try it. It is a *good thing* to be backed up, tho.... I have seen OSs that automounted file systems rw, and then proceeded to trash them, presumably from ignorance. One thing might be - if grub wants hd 0,0 is to have nothing there, I never do.
just a thought.
b-

Colin McDonald wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Let me ask an additional question.

Is it a bad idea to write the grub to a software mirror. Is it written
to a specific disk when this is done?

If I had a corrupt boot loader or boot sector and i needed to rescue.
Would I point to the md device or one of the disks (or both).

TIA

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 13:48:03 -0500, Paul Clements