Joys of spare disks!

Heh.. I too have Seagate drives and have RMA'd even the drive they
sent back to replace the one I RMA'd a month or so ago. Normally
they're great, so I'm hoping the next replacement will fair better.

The one they sent back had more than 10000 unrecoverable sector errors
(!) according to smartctl by the time I RMA'd it (the first one, my
original drive, that I sent back had 3). It failed its self-tests and
all of Seagate's SeaTools tests too. The drive wasn't mishandled by
me, although I thought Seagate's own packaging looked a bit crap (two
pieces of black plastic suspending the drive within a plastic 'shell'
(the so called 'SeaShell' :>) within the box. No peanuts or bubble
wrap or anything else. Still, the drive worked at first and then
within 48hrs had problems.

I have other Seagate drives that have been run for over 15000 without
a single even reallocated bad sector. I might have to try Peter's
patch though, since I am running them in RAID-1.

Derek

/trying to un-lurk on the list (i.e. read the 120 threads that have
appeared since I forgot about checking my gmail account)

Derek Piper - derek.piper@xxxxxxxxx
http://doofer.org/