Re: > 2TB ?

Molle Bestefich wrote:

No email <null@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Forgive me as this is probably a silly question and one that has been
answered many times, I have tried to search for the answers but have
ended up more confused than when I started.  So thought maybe I could
ask the community to put me out of my misery

Is there a version of MD that can create larger than 2TB raid sets?

I have a couple of terabyte software RAID 1+0 arrays under Linux. No size problems with MD as of yet.

But the filesystems is a different affair, and I think this is where
you should watch out.
Linux filesystems seems to stink real bad when they span multiple
terabytes, at least that's my personal experience. I've tried both
ext3 and reiserfs. Even simple operations such as deleting files
suddenly take on the order of 10-20 minutes.

I'm running some 3TB software arrays (12 * 250GB RAID5) with no trouble. I've opted for XFS over ext3 or reiserfs, and I see no trouble in accessing or deleting files. However, my Windows clients can't see the volume unless I tell them that it is less than 2TB ("max disk size" param in smb.conf).

I haven't got a ready explanation for why ext3 and reiser can't handle
TB sizes, but I'd definately advice you against a multi-TB setup using
Linux (at least until you find someone who has a working setup..)

I would tend to agree, unless you use a 2.6 kernel, and XFS, then it's not a problem. Well, as far a software RAID goes anyway - I wish it handled trivial media errors more gracefully (ie, without dropping disks). You should always back-up your data.

-CK
-