Re: parts -- Re: ext3 journal on software raid (was Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard)

hi ya clemens

- yup.. i agree in general except for your "bull shit" comment :-)
	( see below )

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

> Since I do SysAdmin as a "get money for it" service I had not a single
> SCSI disk die (call it luck).

i think lots of people, probably everybody in here get $$$ for what
their doing with the disks they bought

and yeah... i'd say you're lucky with the scsi disks you have

> But I saw so many dead IDE disks, that I
> never ever will use IDE stuff in a mission critical or any system that
> has to run more reliable.

if its mission critical... i usully have 3 independent synchronized
systems doing same "mission critical functions"
	- "scsi" is not the only answer

> I think SCSI disks are built for longer usage, and the thing "faster ->
> hotter" for SCSI disks is bullshit.

ahh ...  i assume you stick your finger on a scsi disks
i assume you stick you finger on a ide disks

thermodymamics/physics says "most things that go faster will run hotter"

and besides .. stick a thermometer and measure it ... no need to bullshit
about it
	- comparing a 15K scsi against an itty-bitty 5400rpm ide is
	sorta silly and the "comparer" should be shot

	- comparing a 10K scsi against a 10K ide disk might be noteworthy
	even if those 10K scsi is year or two older technology, but
	at 10K rpm.... mechanical problems are the same

> well, "I", never build a single Server. I buy them from HP, Supermicro,
> etc. I am out of the "build all myself" age ...

and you left out the crappy stuff that people tend to buy ...
compaqs and dells... which is what i get the calls to come fix for them

> still, you are not save of bad parts, you are perhaps more save to get
> them replaced with more trustworthy distributors.

bingo on "trustworthy distributors" .. that is the 99% of the "right key"
since they sell by the millions/billions of those widgets, they wouldnt
be carrying it if it was gonna become an rma or warranty problem for them
and they probably sell the "same thing" to millions of other customers

c ya
alvin

-