Re: RAID5 drive failure, please verify my commands

Since we're on the subject of RMA'ing hard drives, I have this
question: I have a Seagate drive that during the course of running dd
if=/dev/zero (a simple write-test I've done on all the 4 drives I am
planning on using in my RAID1 set-up) on it has been shown to have
errors (Drive Ready, Seek Complete .. blah blah). I used smartctl to
have a look at the information the drive is giving and to get it to
run a self-test. It apparently has reallocated 136 sectors, has 3
uncorrectable sector errors and failed the read part of the short
self-test with 90% to go. It says its health status is 'PASSED'
though. 2 of the other drives have just a couple of errors and
reallocated sectors, and one has never had an error.

My question is this, to you knowledgable people, should I RMA it or do
disk mfrs only replace drives if they are really DEAD? It's under
warranty until June. Since I've never done it before I thought I'd
ask, I'm thinking yes. The chick at Seagate kept telling me how to do
the RMA process  when I was asking if a few unrecoverable sectors were
covered. Has anyone RMA'd a drive only to have it sent back with 'nah,
it's working fine'?

Opinions are appreciated by anyone. Anyone that's dealt with Seagate,
all the better :)

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Piper - derek.piper@xxxxxxxxx