Re: RAID1 & 2.6.9 performance problem

W liście z pon, 17-01-2005, godz. 16:51, Hans Kristian Rosbach pisze:

[...]

> Actually I have managed to get about 30-40% higher throughput with just
> a little hacking on the code that selects what disk to use.
>
> Problem is
> -It selects the disk that is closest to the wanted sector by remembering
>  what sector was last requested and what disk was used for it.
> -For sequential reads (sucha as hdparm) it will override and use the
>  same disk anyways. (sector = lastsector+1)
>
> I gained a lot of throughput by alternating disk, but seek time was
> roughly doubled. I also tried to get smart and played some with the
> code in order to avoid seeking both disks back and forth wildly when
> there were two sequential reads. I didn't find a good way to do it
> unfortunately.

What about the special case where whole disks are mirrored?
Then there is no need for selecting disks other than round-robin,
because the heads should be in similar positions (except for rebuild
situation).

I will be more than happy to give up partitions to get better
performance instead. I have two disks, so raid 1+0 is not an option.

Could you please reconsider releasing your patch?

Best regards, Janusz
-