Re: combining two raid systems

On Thursday 13 January 2005 20:17, maarten wrote:
> Hi,

Some more info:  The mdadm --detail --scan still cannot find the other md
devices so I examined the boot.log.  It starts out assembling the right md
device (the one I want as the first) but it then rejects it.
Sorry, I have to type this in from the console since my booted kernel is not
the same version as the /lib/modules version on disk (it being the wrong disk
and all) so I can't load any modules, thus no network connectivity there...

It sees the partitions, but it says a couple of times
"invalid raid superblock magic on ..."
but then it continues with something like:
created md1
bind <hda3>
bind <hdc3>
bind <hde3>
bind <hdg3>
bind <hdq3>
bind <hds3>
running: <hds3><hdq3><hdg3><hde3><hdc3><hda3>
personality 4 is not loaded !

And then it stops md1again.

This same, or analogue, thing happens thereafter with md0 but now it says
personality 3 is not loaded !

Now I have to wonder... personality isn't the raid level, is it ? Because I
would never ever use or need raid-3 or raid-4.  What's happening here ?

And these two arrays, that are attempted at boot at least, won't show up later
in mdadm --detail --scan.   If I run --examine on one of those partitions it
clearly sees it being part of an array, but --detail differs in this respect.

I think I may now want to remove the 0xFD flags on all the arrays of system 2
so as to disable them, but that still might not fix the missing personalities
problem...
Well first I'll examine the boot.log of the system 1 to see if when booted
standalone it says things about personality 3 & 4 as well...

Any help greatly appreciated !

Maarten

--

-