Re: how to move a raid1 drive to a new machine

Hi,

Mitchell Laks wrote:
Hi gurus,

A simple question. I have studied the documents

Software raid howto
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO.html
and scoured google.

Given a raid1 on a machine

/dev/md0 consists of /dev/hdc and /dev/hde.

I want to grab one of those disks and move it to a new machine and make it available there.

My experience: just put those drives in your new machine and it will run. Btw, I didn't use any /etc/raidtab configuration, it worked out of the box.

What I have thought about:

turn off machine. grab /dev/hde. put in new machine say at position
/dev/hdc (for grins).

now take an identical copy of /etc/raidtab from the original machine.
install it as /etc/raidtab
modprobe raid1
mknod /dev/md0 b 9 0 (if necessary).
raidstart /dev/md0

will this work?

My partitions were autodetect (fd) and after loading the raid-modules it worked fine...

questions:
1) when do i do mkraid /dev/md0 (ie what does that do... will it zap all the stuff in /dev/hdc => ie what was on old /dev/hde??)

yep.

2) what is the mysterious failed-disk parameter in /etc/raidtab used for - ie will it help here preserve the data while we start up the raid.

It's handy when you're moving from a normal disk to a raid-construction.

3) lets say i want to start the raid without a partner drive, ie just with /dev/hdc ( "drive that used to be known as /dev/hde" "my apologies to glyph who used to be Prince"), what do i do???

It starts with a failed disk.

Thanks, Mitchell

-
-