Re: swap on RAID (was Re: swp - Re: ext3 journal on software raid)

Andy Smith wrote:

I interpret your views as (a) but I interpret Mike's as "there are
people who are saying that a correctly sized machine can have zero
swap configured."

Having no swap configured and merely using no swap in normal
circumstances are very very different situations.

You are correct that I was getting at the zero swap argument - and I agree that it is vastly different from simply not expecting it. It is important to know that there is no inherent need for swap in the kernel though - it is simply used as more "memory" (albeit slower, and with some optimizations to work better with real memory) and if you don't need it, you don't need it.

That said, I mentioned my servers run with swap for the same reason I run with raid. I don't plan on having a disk very often (if at all), and I don't plan on needing swap very often (if at all), but when it happens, I expect my machine to keep running. (or at least I hope it does)

-Mike
-