parts -- Re: ext3 journal on software raid (was Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Brad Campbell wrote:

> Ok, perhaps bad example. Pick any service that may get swapped out. Hell.. any bad block in any swap
> space that develops while that block is in use is going to cause a problem.

yup ... if you have an unstable system .. swapping things in and out of
memory and disks will cause you problems

> > swap ...  swap partitions is by default checked for bad blocks during
> > formatting as swap ...
> > 	- it is highly unlikely that you'd get a bad sector in swap space
>
> Yeah? I have 3 hard disks sitting on my desk that say you are wrong..

that was my whole initial point a few days ago

-- get better hardware

-- get your hardware from another source

-- i do NOT have hardware problems ...
	- i do NOT buy parts from mthe cheapest place
	- i do NOT buy parts from people that i had bad parts

	- i do get an occasional bad part, like the ibm deathstars are
	infamous

	- i do get an occasional 1% infant mortality rate ...
	which is normal

	- once a server has been up for say 30-60 days ... it stays
	up for years ....

- given the same identical hard disks from different vendors/stores,
  you will get different failure rates
	- i use maxtor/quantum, ibm, western digital, seagates, fujitsu

	( no one is better than the other disks, other than
	( the stupid ibm deathstar problem

	- how you install it
	- how you cool it makes all the difference in the world

- think about it ...

	== we all use the same motherboards
	== we all use the same disks
	== we all use the same memory
	== we all use the same linux

	== whats different ??

	( where you bought yours from and more importantly,
	( how you cool things down

	- i do NOT have problems you guyz are having ....
	and i've personally use thousnds of disks

=== get better hardware ..  or more to the point ... buy from a
    computer parts only tier-1 vendor ... not from the millions of me-too
    online "we are the cheapest mom-n-pop we sell camera's and
    clothes too webstores"

> I have a 250GB drive I just swapped out that was "growing" bad sectors at the rate of 3 per day that
> did a clean badblocks 5 months ago when it was installed.

you're buying bad hardware from bad vendors

c ya
alvin

-